Liverpool defender happy on Merseyside after landmark appearance on Wednesday

first_img1 Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has no intention of leaving the club after reaching a landmark in his Anfield career.The penalty shoot-out win over Carlisle on Wednesday night was his 300th game for the club inside just eight years on Merseyside.“I made my debut there for Liverpool against Aston Villa, so if we’d waited until the weekend it could have been my 300th game against Villa!” Skrtel told Liverpoolfc.com“But obviously that’s not important – the most important thing is I’ve reached 300 games and I’m very happy about it.“I have been here almost eight years and if you’ve played 300 games in eight years, it’s around 40 games per season and that’s not easy to do.“I’m very happy about it, very proud and I just hope there will be more and more games in the future.”last_img read more

UEFA charge the FA and Lithuania over Euro 2016 crowd trouble

first_img1 UEFA charge the FA and Lithuania over Euro 2016 crowd trouble UEFA has charged England and Lithuania over crowd disturbances at the Euro 2016 qualifier in Vilnius on Monday.Disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Football Association and the Lithuanian Football Federation (LFF) over the trouble which broke out in a section of the crowd just before kick-off.The LFF has also been charged over breaches of ticketing rules – it appeared some England fans without tickets gained access to sections reserved for home supporters – and for having blocked stairways.The cases will be dealt with by the UEFA’s control, ethics and disciplinary body on October 22.The FA said the disturbances did not involve England supporters who were in the official area or who had bought tickets from the FA.An FA spokesman said: “We were naturally concerned to witness scenes of disorder in Lithuania. However, we must be clear that these incidents did not happen within the official England Supporters Travel Club area, where supporters who had bought tickets from the FA were housed.“We would encourage the authorities to identify anybody involved in disorder and deal with them appropriately through the criminal system and with banning orders. We will, of course, fully co-operate with UEFA.”last_img read more

Michel Platini among seven candidates to run for FIFA presidency

first_img1 Michel Platini and Gianni Infantino FIFA has confirmed the seven candidates who will run to replace Sepp Blatter as its president.Michel Platini, the head of UEFA who is currently banned from football, is the most prominent name on the list released by the governing body this morning.His right-hand man at UEFA, Gianni Infantino, is also in the running for the job, as is Prince Ali bin Al Hussein of Jordan, Liberian FA president Musa Bility, Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman, former diplomat Jerome Champagne, and South African businessman Tokyo Sexwale.David Nakhid, a former Trinidad and Tobago international, had stated his intention to stand but will not be contesting the February 26 election.Platini had been overwhelming favourite for the FIFA presidency but may not even be able to participate in the election, having been suspended from football for 90 days pending a disciplinary hearing into a £1.3million payment signed off by outgoing president Blatter in 2011.If his ban is lifted, FIFA said in a statement that Platini’s candidacy would be put in the hands of its Ad-hoc Electoral Committee which would “decide, depending on the respective exact point in time, on how to proceed with the candidature concerned.”last_img read more

John Ruddy: ‘All the ingredients are there’ for Norwich’s Premier League survival

first_img Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy Goalkeeper John Ruddy is in no doubt Norwich have all the ingredients needed to establish themselves in the Premier League – and with him firmly between the posts.The Canaries host Arsenal on Sunday following a dismal run of five defeats from the last six league matches.During that spell, which did include a victory over Swansea in the last home match, Ruddy has found his position under scrutiny, particularly following a blunder which led to Manchester City’s late penalty winner at the Etihad Stadium last month.Ruddy, though, has not lost any confidence in his own ability, or that of Alex Neil’s men to retain their hard-earned place back among the elite.“All the ingredients are there,” said the glovesman.“We just need to find the balance to get the three points we have often deserved.“The standards we have set ourselves have to remain in the 25 games we have left. We take each game at a time.“Against Arsenal, we need to make it difficult for them, but we also need to carry a threat ourselves.”On his own performances, Ruddy added: “I don’t think I have been as good as I have been previously, but that’s football.“Form is temporary. I am more than confident in myself. I know more often than not that my performances will be there.“I had a couple of conversations with the gaffer and he was brilliant with me. Any criticism that is aimed at me has not already gone through my own mind.Ruddy added: “I have not been terrible all season, but this is my sixth year here at the club and they bought me for £250,000, so I feel I have proved value for money over the years.“I have been in this game 11 years as a professional. It is not the first time I have been criticised and it probably won’t be the last.“I think I am mentally strong enough to take the rough with the smooth.” 1last_img read more

Gonzaga staves off LMU

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityHumboldt State 3, CS Dominguez Hills 1: Sophia Lopes had 19 kills and 20 digs as the visiting Toros (2-17, 1-7 CCAA) lost, 30-25, 30-32, 30-27, 30-26. In a men’s soccer game … Khadim Diouf scored in the 85th minute to lead host San Diego State (5-2-2, 1-0-0 Pacific-10) to a 1-0 victory over UCLA (4-5-1, 0-1-0). In a men’s water polo game … Tommy Corcoran and Jordan Thompson each scored two goals as top-ranked USC (8-0, 3-0 MPSF) cruised to a 7-2 home win over No. 3 Stanford (5-3, 1-1). From news services Heather Hughes had a career-high 32 kills, but it wasn’t enough as the Loyola Marymount women’s volleyball team lost to host Gonzaga, 33-31, 33-31, 28-30, 30-24, on Saturday. Emily Day (West Torrance High) added 22 kills for the Lions (9-7, 1-2 WCC). Long Beach State 3, Cal State Northridge 0: Alexis Crimes had 15 kills to lead the host 49ers (10-5, 4-1 Big West) to a 30-12, 30-22, 31-29 win. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

JUST THE TICKET

first_imgPICO RIVERA – The lights were down and the audience was ready for the grand opening of the Pico Rivera Village Walk 15 Krikorian Premiere Theatre on Friday. The cineplex opened to a crowd of 200 at 11 a.m. Friday for a first round of shows after eight years of planning and building. “It far surpassed anyone’s expectation,” Pico Rivera Mayor Ron Beilke said. “It is so grand. This is a theater you would expect to see in Hollywood, Westwood or Pasadena.” The new theater was built on land purchased and cleared by the city eight years ago. Relocating the businesses and residents who were on the land, and cleaning up the property, cost the city about $12 million. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The land was later sold to George Krikorian, entrepreneur and founder of the chain of Krikorian Premiere Theatres, for $4 million. The opening of the movie theater, the first in Pico Rivera since an old drive-in left the city a decade ago, began with a gala celebration and ribbon-cutting for VIP’s on Wednesday night. Five movies were shown to Krikorian and city representatives, as well as vendors and other guests. “It was a true movie-going experience, and it was a good trial run for the staff,” Beilke said. “The staff is so wonderful, very professional.” At the gala, George Krikorian announced he would donate $2,000 to the Maria Hicks Scholarship Fund, founded in honor of a shooting victim who was killed on Aug. 10 trying to stop vandals from tagging a wall near her home. Krikorian also said he plans to give all proceeds from the sale of popcorn and drinks from opening weekend to a city program that provides scholarships for teens, as a show of good will and commitment to the community. Assistant Manager Esthela Hernandez said the theater’s first day open to the public was busy, with 200 guests for the first round of movies, beginning at 11 a.m. “For being a brand-new theater, it’s pretty good,” Hernandez said. “We’ve been pretty busy.” Hernandez, 26, said she has been with Krikorian for six years, and transferred from the Downey location to Pico Rivera. She said there was excitement in the community about the theater. “We had people stopping by at 8 a.m., asking when we would open,” Hernandez said. Hernandez predicted shows would begin selling out in the evening on Friday. A few finishing touches will be added to the theater in the new year, including the completion of a fifteenth screen and mural paintings in the lobby. For Friday’s attendees, however, the theater was already meeting expectations. The theater is offering $1 popcorn and sodas for opening weekend, as well as free giveaways and promotions to draw crowds. Joe Arquita, 27, a film student from Montebello, attended one of the shows on Friday. He came for the specials on food and drinks for the opening, and was impressed by the grandeur of the building. “It’s a helluva lot bigger than AMC, that’s for sure,” Arquita said. Beilke said he expects that residents will support the theater for the opening and into the future. “Just come, and keep coming,” Beilke said. “You’ll love it. It’s worth every cent.” airan.scruby@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

HSE TO CLOSE SEAN O’HARE UNIT

first_imgThe HSE has revealed it is planning to send patients from the Sean O’Hare Unit in Stranorlar out into more community settings.And in a statement the health authority has also admitted that it does not plan to admit any more new residents to the unit.At present there are 17 people at the facility. In their reply the HSE said: “The Sean O Hare Unit in Stranorlar accommodates seventeen residents with an intellectual disability. It is intended to accommodate people with an intellectual disability in more appropriate community settings in future such as a social housing developments.“This is more appropriate and is consistent with public policy and national reports. Meetings have taken place with all relevant families using services in the Sean O Hare unit.“The process is currently at consultation stage and no arrangements have been made to date. There will be no new admissions to the Sean O’Hare unit in the meantime.”The HSE has also denied there are plans in place to reduce to capacity of the Acute Psychiatric Unit in Letterkenny from a capacity from 34 to 20 beds by the end of the year. HSE TO CLOSE SEAN O’HARE UNIT was last modified: August 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Sean O’Hare UnitStranorlarlast_img read more

HARTE WELCOMES GRANTS MOVE AS SUSI PAYS OUT TO 39,000 STUDENTS

first_imgThe student grant awarding body, SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland), has so far paid grants to 39,000 students for this academic year 2013/2014.The LYIT campusThe move has been welcomed by Donegal Labour Senator Jimmy Harte who said the system is now working well.Of these, 20,000 are first time applicants and 19,000 are students who have renewed their grants with SUSI. Because of improvements to its system, SUSI has been running more efficiently and on schedule.43,000 students – 23,000 first-time applicants and 20,000 renewal students – have already been notified that they have been awarded grants, compared to just 6,000 this time last year. The 4,000 students who have already been awarded grants and are still to be paid will receive their grants as soon as their colleges confirm that they are registered and attending and when students provide their bank details.Senator HarteAll eligible students who met SUSI’s priority processing deadlines and have submitted all the documents required to support their applications have now been awarded, in line with SUSI’s three-month timeline which began on 5th August.Those applicants that supplied documents within deadline and have been asked subsequently for additional information are expected to receive notification of their grant status within four weeks of providing the information. Processing continuesSUSI expects to award a total of 60,000 grants for this academic year – 40,000 of them to new applicants – and processing continues on those applications which came in after SUSI’s priority processing deadlines. Students can follow the progress of late applications on the online tracker system on https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/PaymentsAdditional payment dates have been put in place to ensure that students get paid as early as possible. HARTE WELCOMES GRANTS MOVE AS SUSI PAYS OUT TO 39,000 STUDENTS was last modified: November 1st, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:education grantsSenator Jimmy HartestudentsSUSIlast_img read more

Retailers scramble to please consumer

first_img Another big concern is a cooling housing market; the windfall from home equity refinancing – which gave consumers extra cash to spend – is fading. Another big question mark is the employment market; the job market has steadily improved, but wages aren’t keeping up with inflation. The National Retail Federation, which is holding its annual convention this week, forecasts a 4.7 percent gain in total retail sales this year, less than the 6.1 percent growth achieved last year. Total retail figures exclude business from auto dealers, gas stations and restaurants. Michael P. Niemira, chief economist at The International Council of Shopping Centers, expects a 3 percent sales gain for retailers’ fiscal year, below the 3.8 percent increase in 2005. The International Council of Shopping Center-UBS sales tally is based on sales at stores opened at least a year, known as same-store sales. Amid this climate, companies are recognizing the need to have an emotional connection with consumers. Mindy Grossman, vice president of global apparel at Nike Inc., another panelist at the Financo session, cited the success of an activewear line called 10/2, inspired by cancer survivor and cyclist champion Lance Armstrong. Meanwhile, rapper Sean “Diddy” Combs, chairman and CEO of fashion company Sean John, said he was able to resonate with his consumers with his first foray into fashion: a black T-shirt and a black hat. The company, which now sells a complete men’s clothing collection, is doing well with its new men’s fragrance called “Unforgivable” with Estee Lauder. The 2.5-ounce bottle, found only at Saks Inc.’s Saks Fifth Avenue, sells for $300. A less expensive version will be in 1,800 department stores starting on Feb. 15. “We represent the attitude” of our consumers, Combs said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! NEW YORK – Shoppers who frustrated the nation’s retailers by being choosy and waiting until the last minute for bargains during the winter holidays are expected to continue challenging merchants in 2006, particularly discounters and midlevel department stores. High energy costs, modest wage increases and a slowdown in the housing market are expected to restrain consumer spending, forcing retailers to come up with new ways to excite the shopper. Home furnishings stores, which had a mixed performance last year, will likely show more signs of weakness as shoppers may spend less on their homes. And midprice department stores will continue to struggle amid competition from stores like cheap chic Target Corp. Hot pockets remain luxury stores and consumer electronics chains. Meanwhile, sales of accessories, particularly handbags, should continue to do well. Upscale retailer Coach Inc. reported that its female customers are buying nearly an average of four handbags – at more than $150 a piece – a year, compared to two a year in 2000. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card But attracting shoppers goes far beyond just stocking up on the right merchandise. “I walk through an American Girl store. And that’s an experience,” said Michael Gould, chairman and CEO of Bloomingdale’s, in an address to industry executives at a seminar late Monday sponsored by investment banking firm Financo Inc. He was referring to the Mattel Inc.-owned popular doll brand, whose stores have tea rooms and throw theater performances. “We need more animation in the stores,” said Gould, noting that Federated Department Stores Inc.’s Bloomingdale’s is studying ways to have more thematic fashion events. He’s also looking at putting less merchandise on the floor. Bloomingdale’s is renovating its lingerie department at its New York flagship, eliminating 40 percent of its lingerie offerings, while expanding its fitting rooms. The good news is that shoppers – and the economy – showed surprising resilience last year amid a series of devastating hurricanes, a spike in gasoline prices and higher interest rates. Even the holiday shopping season, saved by the last-minute spending surge, ended up being respectable for merchants, though not spectacular. But analysts predict a spending slowdown as shoppers see their disposable buying power reduced. This winter could be a challenging one for merchants because customers will be forced to budget more amid higher heating bills. last_img read more

Watford transfer news: Hornets told to pay £4.3 million for Monaco defender

first_img Marcel Tisserand spent last season on loan at Toulouse 1 Monaco have slapped a £4.3m price tag on Watford target Marcel Tisserand.The 23-year-old spent last season on loan at Toulouse and he is now ready to leave permanently in search of first-team football.Watford have been tracking the defender since July, while Saint-Etienne and German side Ingolstadt are interested too.But, according to L’Equipe, it is going to cost any of them £4.3m if they want to sign Tisserand this summer.Monaco are aware of the Congolese’s desire to play regularly and they are willing to let him leave for the right price.last_img